July 6, 2012

Refreshing Summer Memories

I ran across an old recipe card scrawled in my grandmother’s handwriting. Each unique stroke of her pen painted a vivid portrait as I turned the pages of time...


I could hear her chuckle and smell every delicious scent of her kitchen. Standing there beside me at that old farmhouse sink with the windows open and the fresh farm breezes ruffling the curtains, we laughed about some story she told that compared me at my age then to her and her mama what-seemed-to-me-eternities before. 
My grandma, a woman who wore Jesus as naturally as her everyday cotton print. Her work-worn hands etched with years of love perfected in the comforting and the toil of providing that flows from a godly mama heart. 
There in her apron-covered house dress, and me in my summer shift and ribbon-tied blonde braids, captured in a memory now instantly unlocked by a faded old recipe card.

I also remember how much I LOVED this refreshing summer salad! I don’t know the origins of the recipe, but you can Google “vintage Lemon Jell-O Salad” and get similar recipes. I remember enjoying it in the late-1960’s and early 70’s when Grandma took this salad to our annual community smorgasbord fundraiser, or to church fellowship dinners. Remember those?
Hazels Jello SaladHazels Jello Salad p2










She simply called it, “Hazels Jello Salad” – for the great aunt who passed the recipe on to her. This way of tagging recipes may have failed to give proper credit to the originator, but it sure had a way of making a memoir out of a recipe box!

Their voices light and happy, sharing life and hearts and new recipes as they caught up on distant family news while working away in that big ol' summer-time kitchen on the farm ...


What treasures are tucked away in your recipe box? 

~De


[Recipe below typed from Grandma’s card]


Lemon Jell-O Salad with Pudding Topping
JELL-O & FRUIT BASE
  • In 9x13 dish – dissolve 2 boxes lemon Jell-O in 2 cups hot water.
  • Add 2 cups ice water
  • Cool
Add
  • 4 large bananas, sliced thin.
  • 1 – #2 can crushed pineapple
  • 2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • Refrigerate to set gelatin
THE TOPPING: (the YUMMY!)
Cook until bubbly & thickened
  • 1 cup reserved pineapple juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. butter or oleo (margarine)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs – well beaten
Set aside to cool completely.
  • Prepare 2 pkgs Dream Whip according to pkg. instructions.
When topping is cold, add the prepared Dream Whip and blend well. Spread pudding mixture on top of set Jell-O salad and sprinkle with finely grated mild cheddar cheese.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...