November 12, 2011

What am I looking for? - Proverbs 11


Starting in the 10th chapter, did you notice how the flow of the theme changed? Each verse stands on its own as a complete lesson of wisdom truths.  WOW! What a gold mine.

Like a yummy bag of freshly opened Lay’s Potato Chips, it was hard to choose just one. Here is the chip I munched on today.

Scripture: Proverbs 11:27
“He who seeks GOOD, finds good will, but evil comes to him who searches for it.
Observations
Practically speaking, whatever I focus on determines my perspective.
Spiritually speaking, when I seek God I find goodness.

Application:
God is teaching me to see His goodness all around me as I live each day. It is so easy to slip into a negative mindset because elements of positive and negative can be found in any situation in life.

I choose the focal point. I am the one in control of the tuning knob to adjust the focus of whatever it is I observe.

Here’s a humorous practical example. As I drive up in front of the nice house in the beautiful neighborhood where our ladies bible study meets, in my only vehicle – a pick-up truck with it’s patches of rust and 433,320+ actual miles on it --  trust me I have a huge opportunity to look for the good.  -- Hey, It still runs! It’s 100% paid for! I own a vehicle while 91% of the world’s population does not. I am a rich person. --
Now, that’s the good stuff.
However, every popular self-help book on the market today shouts the benefits of having a positive attitude and looking on the sunny side of life. So, how is this verse different?

The reality of GOOD is God. He alone is GOOD, and there is nothing good apart from Him. He is more than just a positive outlook. He is the full embodiment and expression of all that is true, honest, just, pure, lovely, praise worthy and virtuous.

So when I look for Him in the midst of every situation and then extend His goodness to others, His true gifts and incorruptible treasures are what returns to me.

Prayer:


Father, I love your goodness, but you know that I need your help to see you in the noise and confusion and darkness of some situations. Thank you for continuing to show me how wonderful it is to look for and to find your eternal goodness all around me so that I can share that with others.


~ De


How about it? What did you get out of this passage?


proverbs-sidebar

I’m following the Proverbs in 31 Days series hosted by Amy at www.momstoolbox.com. Click on the SOAP badge in my right sidebar to learn more about the SOAP bible study method. (Thank you, Amy!)




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...