November 23, 2011

Pink ruffles and toothy smiles


Some of you read my March journal post at OurCompassion titled “Gakii’s Christmas: My Surprise!” 

In it I shared about my Kenya correspondence child, Gakii -- another of my Compassion children without a mom.

Last fall I was so burdened for her, and as I prayed I felt specifically impressed to ask God to provide this little one with a new dress or an outfit.  You know, that kind of loving act her mama would do for her if she were around.

I wanted her to feel loved and special like the treasure she is to God’s heart. Yet as much as I would have loved to be able to send money for a dress for her, I was in no position to do anything about it at the time...except for prayer.

But God …

Gakii’s Christmas Thank-You letter arrived in March. Six simple lines of text, and a list of items received through the Compassion project’s Christmas outreach. Most children I know would scoff and grumble at gifts like this.
3 kgs wheat flour
cooking oil
cooking salt
matchbox
bar soap
 
But topping the list was this item -- “a girl dress.”


In her six-line-letter Gakii said the dress was beautiful. There was no photo in the letter, so I could only imagine her happiness and what she looked like in her pretty new dress.

Last week I received her updated photo. While I can’t be sure that this is the dress she got last Christmas, I have a sneaking suspicion it probably is!

Sparkling eyes and a seven-year-old toothy smile in a ruffled pink dress! Does it get any better than that? A little girl feeling like a pretty princesses, so precious to God's heart.
Gakii.2011

Thank you, Lord, for your love and care for this beautiful, precious little person.

Amazing. Wonderful. God.

~ De


You can help release children from poverty in Jesus’ name, too. This holiday season, would you join God in the work He is doing all over the world?





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...