November 6, 2011

The ways of the ant - Proverbs 6


I hope you are enjoying a soapy soak in the word, and taking notes on what God is speaking to your life. Here’s what I heard in today’s reading from chapter 6.

Scripture – Proverbs 6:6-8
Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.”

Observations
I can become wiser by studying the life and behavior of godly examples, including those shown in nature.
The ant shows restraint by storing provision for basic needs – not hoarding excess for indulgence.
The ant works independently to perform the right kind of work in the appropriate season.
Application
When I first read the verses describing the diligence and self-motivated work behaviors of the ant, I felt a negative aversion sparked from past association with the burned-out, Type-A driven wreck I was in my early 40’s.

Then I realized God was showing me that the ways of the ant stand in stark contrast to the workaholic entanglements of the son described in verses 1-5, and the inexcusable laziness of the sluggard outlined in verses 6-15.

These two extremes are the folly God warns us about in this part of the chapter.

The busy little ant teaches me these wisdom principles that I can apply to my life.

Live Balanced – I must exercise initiative in performing my daily tasks, but I must take care not to set such lofty goals that I become driven to involvements beyond my responsibilities.
Work well – I must manage and invest my time wisely. If not I could end up sacrificing my strength and purpose to a life God never asked me to live, or waste opportunities He puts before me.
Stay Content – I will focus on taking care of the life God gave me instead of looking for the one I don’t have.
Plan & Prepare – I will store up what I reasonably can for basic provision in the future. The emphasis on storing food in this passage reminds me not to worry about the extra trappings of my life that may or may not be there at some far distant date.

Prayer
Thank you for your word, and for your creative lessons from nature that I can easily connect with. Help me to apply your truths and be more like a happy, productive little ant.


~ De


What is God saying to you from today’s reading?




I’m following Proverbs in 31 Days, hosted by Amy at Mom's Toolbox.
Click for more info about the SOAP method.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...