November 7, 2011

Bind them on your fingers - Proverbs 7


I hope you're enjoying your time in the word, and I'd love to know if you're trying out the SOAP method, too. Go to Mom's Toolbox to learn more. This is a very helpful bible study approach, and so easy to remember.

Coffee ready? Here’s what stood out to me in Chapter 7.


Scripture:  Proverbs  7:3-5
Bind them on your fingers and write them on the tablet of your heart. (v5) They will keep you from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words.”
Observations:
Obedience to the wisdom of God’s principles protects me from the lure of unfaithfulness, both literally and spiritually.

The ways of the adulteress described in the chapter show some of the tactics the enemy of my soul uses to try to destroy my faithfulness and intimacy with God. When I find myself bombarded in these areas, that’s when I need to be on guard.
    • Anything that plays to extreme sensuality or enticingly attracts and absorbs my senses and replaces my focus on God (v10)
    • Invitations to excessive self-indulgence – not only to those things that God forbids, but also to any personal pursuit or activity that threatens to take first place in my heart
    • Smooth talk & persuasive words that disarm my better judgment
    • The loud and brash voice – distractions that drown out God’s voice.
    • Defiance –  casting off restraint;

Application:


What protects me from becoming unfaithful to God?
Bind them on your fingers...
That means picking up my bible every day, and clinging to the truths I read in His word. It also means to let God’s principles dictate my choices, methods, attitudes and actions in everything I set my hand to do, and in how I do it.
Write them on the tablet of your heart...
When I read and study God’s word, and apply His principles every day, I chisel wisdom into the most impressionable part of my core being.


Wisdom. Understanding. The guardian of my life. Like a protective older brother or a concerned and loving sister, clinging to wisdom and understanding will keep me from wayward paths. (v4).


Prayer:
(In this step, take a moment to ask God to help you apply what you have learned from your study in the passage today.)

~ De


What passage spoke to your heart today?


proverbs-sidebar
I’m following the Proverbs in 31 Days series at Mom’s Toolbox.




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...