May 8, 2011

Seize the Cup!

Carpe Vas!... I smile when I think of this quaint little coffee shop in the heart of historic Savannah, GA.  After several hours afoot, we were in desperate need of a little caffeine recharge when I spotted the store sign up ahead. I snapped a few tourist pics and hurried after my hubby as he laughingly barked out: "F-R-E-S-H Coffee!"

The weather was perfect, the skies were a gorgeous shade of blue, and we drank in the sights, smells and sounds of a rather low-key Savannah afternoon while sipping coffee outside the shop.  The owner's clever play on the old "seize the day" mantra made me laugh...  as if one simply cannot let a moment go by without coffee.  Seize the cup!  Get it early!  Get it now!  Make the most of every pot! Yessiree, this was definitely our kinda coffee shop.  Carpe Vas, indeed.

Oh, yeah, baby, I'm all about grabbing onto life.  Just ask anyone who knows my list of exhausted hobbies.  After all life is about living, right?  And living it to the fullest.  But don't get me wrong. There's a vast difference between experiencing life as you live it,  and cramming life full of experiences in order to feel like you've lived.

For me, the living happens in the everyday stuff; the fun stuff... the serious stuff... the lesson-learning-sure-wish-I-weren't-going-through-THIS kinda stuff.  You wake up.  You breathe.  You got the stuff of life staring you in the face.  (And if you're really lucky, you'll at least have a good cup of coffee to go along with it.)  But either way, there's always something to glean from each day's experiences even if it's just one of those character-building, downing-the-blah-oatmeal kind of days.

Every single day we experience places, people, situations and circumstances, and in those moments we process and engage.  Over a lifetime we laugh, love, celebrate and grieve.  We unite, compete, take risks, fall flat on our faces, and try again.  Sometimes we quit trying for a while. We hurt.  But those who grab on to life... True Life ...  find the grace and forgiveness to rise up again; to breathe again... to keep standing... to experience the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living... to seize the Cup.

Psalm 27:13; Ephesians 2:4-9

9 comments:

  1. Completely LOVE this! Im not sure why but it made me cry reading this ;) I'm so excited you started this blog, I can't wait to read more. You have such a gift of teaching through stories. I love you xxoo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.... I'm glad you were blessed. I didn't expect tears on this one. ;).... I promise, you'll laugh at others. But then, you already know that. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. De, great to connect with you again. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Amazing how the truth can resonate so deeply that, it instantly makes you want to take action. After reading this I believe I will go conquer something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. De, I love that you can put into words those things that are in our hearts but we don't always see them until reading one of your stories....at least that's true for me. I find myself saying while reading, "yes, absolutely, that's just how I feel!" (besides, being a coffee lover, too) Makes me want to celebrate life even more and am so thankful for God's abundant life in us!! Looking forward to more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got this going. One day I will have to follow your example. I just wrote about coffee and delicious oatmeal yesterday. I want to send it to you and mom. A smile. Love you! Love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post, De. So encouraging and motivating! I saw it on your Popular Posts list today and I am so glad I did. Thanks!
    Blessings!
    Pam at www.2encourage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pam - I'm glad this encouraged you today. Carpe Vas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a dream last night I heard the words clear as day, "Seize the cup." It was so clear that it woke me up for a bit. I can't remember what I was dreaming about but I still remembered those words when I woke up this morning and I wondered just what meaning they had for me? What was God trying to tell me?
    I thought about the cup of salvation which I seized a long time ago. I thought about Christ's words in the Garden of Gestheneme , "Father take this cup from me." But I still had no idea what those words were suppose to mean for me.
    So I did an online search using only those words, seize the day and I was led to your blog and this page. And I have to say your words are a blessing to me and I thank you for sharing them. I have been to Savannah once and as I read your words I could picture in my mind the streets and beautiful places there I had seen.
    So what have I found in what the words mean to me? I feel it is in what you say in the last sentence; "But those who grab on to life... True Life ... find the grace and forgiveness to rise up again; to breathe again... to keep standing... to experience the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living... to seize the Cup."
    God wanted to remind me of this and gave you the words I needed to hear. Thank you and may God bless you.
    Chris Spencer
    Tuscaloosa, AL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how God's timing is perfect, and thank you for taking the time to drop a note about how God led you to this particular story. May His perfect grace and love cover you as you continue to look for His goodness and seize the cup of Life. Blessings!! ~ De

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...